Monday, July 06, 2009

Tennis and Tantrums

The last few days has been a study in contrast for me - waiting is never a good time if you are like me - impatient, full of beans...the one good point of waiting was the opportunity afforded to work less and watch TV more. Thus Wimbledon '09 and some of the finest matches ever played happened for the right time for me and I was priveleged to watch some of the matches. A few of them stood out - I like the way Federer took apart the giant Croat Ivo Karlovic, the semi finals with Haas was one played in the best possible sporting spirit (are the Aussies and the Poms watching and listening in the Ashes build-up?), the finals was one of the best I have ever seen.

I must admit I have never stepped into a Tennis Court (a Lawn Tennis Court - I do play a bit of Table tennis - better than a bit I daresay) and thus am blissfully unaware of the technical aspects of the game, the speed, skill and ball-sense that is needed to be a Tennis player. However, I have been fairly consistent in watching Tennis - especially the ones beamed live from the hallowed grounds at Wimbledon all the way to an India just waking up to the possibility of live matches available of Indian Television. My mind goes back to the matches on '84 which is probably my first recollection of watching tennis and I was instantly smitten by the brash, bold and bountifully talented McEnroe - his exhibition of tennis and tantrums as an art in 1984 I think has never been bettered and add his marvellously emotive & expressive face, you have all the makings of an anti-hero. I do recollect the boom boom wunderkid Becker in '85 and his titanic struggles with Andres Jarryd and Kevic Curran - dont recollect too much of the matches for the next few years...till 1989 when I recollect the match between Edberg and Becker then in the midst of their great grass-court rivalry.

Anyway enough of digressing - lets get back to the matches on display over the weekend - both the finals were great spectator marvels - the ladies final was remarkable for the power, accuracy and poise of Serena who was quite clearly the better of the two sisters and the mens' finals was remarkable as a slugfest between two of the three most talented players on the planet. The interesting fact was that Federer outdid Roddick in the aces columns - something few of us could comprehend - just goes to demonstrate the accuracy and precision of the Swiss maestro that makes up for the obvious lack of brute power. While the groundstrokes were a treat to watch and the serving par excellence - what I missed most was the loss of volleying as a key attacking component of an all round game. One misses the accuracy of an Edberg, the athleticism of a Becker and an inventiveness of an McEnroe at the net - games now a days lack that bit of spectacle when the volley is little used.

Well, I cant quibble after being priveleged to watch one of the longest and best matches played on Center Court at Wimbledon now, can I?

No comments:

The GOATs of Hindi film music - an analysis of the greatest music directors in the history of Bollywood cinema

Over the holiday break in December 2020, I did a fair bit of driving around the Australian east coast. The drive from Sydney up to central Q...