Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Will Continental get my business again?

I dont know how many of you have read the news that former President of India, Abul Kalam was frisked at Delhi airport waiting to board a Continental flight to New York. I did, followed with interest the various blogs, news items about uproar in the assembly, insinuations that Hillary Clinton should be subject to a similar tit for tat (no puns here :)), reactions if a similar incident had happened in China blah blah blah.

A few points immediately come to mind - Indian's recent preoccupation with China, a new found sense of assertive outrage (I havent seen too much of this earlier) and the sheer number folks writing in the comments column expressing their displeasure in no uncertain terms.

The Chinese connection is the easiest to understand - I think the rise of the internet and thus freely available information has made Indians realise just how far behind we are to the Chinese in terms of Global influence and development - I think this feeling of jealousy is good - good for us to wish and work towards a better standard of living, development and better support for folks like us living elsewhere but still carrying the Indian passport with demonstrated pride.

However, the other side of the coin - the spirit of Indian freedom allows folks like me and everyone else to express themselves without any fear - I wonder if ordinary Chinese would have the same freedom of expression. I dont know but what I read in the papers suggests - perhaps not. Lets ensure India retains that precious and irreplaceable freedom of expression.

Now back to the news item - I actually have 2 questions here - One - would we all perceive the same sense of outrage if say a Laloo Yadav was frisked? I say perhaps not :). Two, would Continental ever get my business again? That's easy - NO. Not because of anything else - but simply for the sheer sense bullheadedness of their staff - I think doing something like this in an emotionally charged country like India was downright stupid - wonder what the person who controlled the World's fifth largest Nuclear Button could have carried in his shoe is beyond my comprehension.

I cant trust the airline which couldnt figure that one out with my life now, can I?

No comments:

The GOATs of Hindi film music - an analysis of the greatest music directors in the history of Bollywood cinema

Over the holiday break in December 2020, I did a fair bit of driving around the Australian east coast. The drive from Sydney up to central Q...